Central region

Ghana: government undertakes 109 road projects in central region

Cape Coast – The government is undertaking 109 road infrastructure projects in the central region to improve transport and stimulate economic activity.

Of the 109 road projects under construction, 28 fall under the Ghana Highway Authority (GHA), 55 under the Department of Feeder Roads and 26 under the Department of Urban Roads.

In addition, a total of 89 roads have been identified, some already announced and will soon be added to the 109 existing projects currently underway.

Some of the projects currently underway include; Cape Coast Downtown Project, Cape Coast-Kakum Road, Swedru Town Roads, Twifo Praso Bridge, Assin Fosu Town Roads, Mfantseman Mankesim’s Supredo Bridge to Abeadze Road , Bawjiase Road, Gomoa Dawurampong Road, among others.

The Minister of Roads, Kwasi Amoako-Atta, who said this, explained that the various projects were financed by loans and grants from the government of Ghana.

He was speaking at a press conference in Cape Coast as part of his tour of the region to inspect some ongoing road projects.

The tour was also intended to solicit opinions on some of the challenges some communities face in getting from one destination to another.

Mr. Amoako-Atta said the road network in the central region was approximately 5,695 kilometers, and said 1,156 were managed by the Ghana Highway Authority (GHA), while 3,150 and 1,390 were respectively under the authority of the Ghana Highway Authority (GHA). Department of Urban Roads and Feeder Roads.

Giving a breakdown of the total number of roads in the region, he explained that 1,880, representing 33 percent, were paved or had a paved surface; 2,320 were in the gravel stage and 1,795 representing 26% were in the earth stage.

He further indicated that approximately 1,376 kilometers of roads in the region, or 24%, were rated as good, while 2,013 kilometers and 2,217 were fair and poor, respectively.

Mr. Amoako-Atta expressed the government’s commitment to improving the country’s infrastructure, and added that it was not out of place that the government declared this year “the Year of the Roads”.

He said that after taking office in 2017, the government of President Akufo-Addo realized the urgent need to improve the road network, saying: “Our road network in 2017 was very bad, so the government put in measures to improve the road infrastructure in the country “.

He explained that only 23 percent of the country’s total road network of more than 78,000 kilometers was paved with asphalt (tarmac), while the remaining 77 percent was unpaved.

The government, he said, was also focusing on the construction of interchanges and mentioned the Tamale, Pokuase and Obetsebi-Lamptey interchange, which it said was under construction.